Illuminating Thekkady: A Diwali Break Like No Other!November 2, 2023
Christmas Elegance: Unwind at our 5 Star Resorts in ThekkadyDecember 24, 2023
Thekkady is a peaceful paradise in the heart of Kerala. It is a locus known for its lush forests, spice plantations, and vibrant wildlife, alongside the wrap of finest hotels and 5 star resorts in Kerala. One of the most captivating experiences that Thekkady has to offer is the art of birdwatching. As the sun rises over the Western Ghats, the wild symphony begins. It fills the air with mystic tunes. In this blog, we’ll take you through Thekkady’s melodic mornings – a comprehensive guide to birdwatching.
A Guide to Birdwatching: Things to know
Thekkady: A Birdwatcher’s Haven
Thekkady is part of the Periyar Tiger Reserve. It is a protected area that covers 925 square kilometers of lush wildlife. This region is home to many verities of bird species, making it a birdwatcher’s paradise. With its evergreen forests, numerous lakes, and the iconic Periyar Lake at the heart of it all, Thekkady provides a wide range of habitats for birds to thrive. For travelers seeking the ultimate birdwatching experience, it’s worth noting that the best resorts in Thekkady often provide birdwatching activities as a complimentary offering. Whether you’re a seasoned birder or a novice enthusiast, these guided tours can lead you to some of the most picturesque spots.
Birdwatching: What To Expect?
As the first light of dawn leaves, the forest awakens with a chorus of chirping, tweeting, and singing birds. The key to a successful birdwatching expedition is patience, alert, and a good pair of binoculars. Here are some bird species you may encounter during your birdwatching adventure in Thekkady:
- Malabar Grey Hornbill: These beautiful birds are famous for their unique sounds and colorful feathers. You can usually spot them sitting up high in the treetops.
- Indian Pitta: The Indian Pitta is a delightful bird to find, thanks to its vibrant green and orange feathers that stand out in the underbrush.
- Great Hornbill: The Great Hornbill is an iconic bird in Thekkady, known for its large beak and distinctive look. You can even hear their loud calls from far away.
- Nilgiri Flycatcher: This small, charming bird with electric blue feathers can be spotted moving around in the bushes.
- Oriental Darter: If you venture to Periyar Lake, you may spot the Oriental Darter, a waterbird known for its snake-like neck.
- White-bellied Treepie: These striking black and white birds are often seen in groups, and their vocalizations are quite distinctive.
- Malabar Whistling Thrush: The melodious song of this bird is enchanting. It’s found near streams and forested areas.
To maximize your birdwatching experience, here are some recommended spots in Thekkady. These spots are often suggested by the local guides available in the 5 star resorts in Kerala, ensuring you make the most of your birdwatching adventure. So, here are some recommended hotspots for you:
- Periyar Lake: The boat ride on Periyar Lake is a fantastic way to spot water birds and raptors. Keep an eye out for the darters, cormorants, and even ospreys.
- Periyar Tiger Reserve: Take guided treks into the dense forests of the reserve where you’ll have a chance to spot a variety of bird species.
- Mangaladevi Temple: While trekking to this ancient temple, you’ll be surrounded by the melodious sounds of forest birds.
- Chellarkovil: This serene village near Thekkady is an excellent place to spot a variety of birds while enjoying panoramic views of the Western Ghats.
Essential Tips for Birdwatching in Thekkady
- Start Early: Birds are most active during the early morning hours, so set out before sunrise for the best experience.
- Be Quiet and Patient: Birds can be skittish, so maintain a low profile and move quietly to avoid scaring them away.
- Binoculars and Field Guide: Invest in a good pair of binoculars and bring along a field guide to help with identification.
- Respect Nature: Ensure not to disrupt the birds or their natural habitat. Capture only memories with your camera and leave behind only your footprints.
Birdwatching in Thekkady is a rewarding and magical experience. The melodious mornings filled with the calls and songs of the region’s diverse avian inhabitants will leave you with memories to cherish. Thekkady is not just a place to see birds; it’s a place to connect with nature, appreciate its wonders, and gain a deeper understanding of the delicate balance that exists in this thriving ecosystem.
If you’re eager to explore this avian wonderland further, consider staying at one of the best private pool resorts in Thekkady. Many of these resorts offer birdwatching as a resort activity, providing you with a seamless and unforgettable birdwatching adventure amid the lush beauty of Thekkady. So, pack your binoculars and embark on a journey to Thekkady’s melodic mornings for an unforgettable birdwatching adventure.